Restaurant Hours of OperationSun-Thurs 11am-10pmFri-Sat 11am-11pm
Contact Information208 Bank StreetChesapeake City, MD 21915Tel:410-885-7200Fax:410-885-7205
|Home>Home>History of Schaefer's Canal House|
History of Schaefer's Canal House
So much can be discussed about the extensive history of Schaefer's Canal House. From when the very first brick was laid in the foundation to the present day, Schaefer's continues to hold a part of the dynamic heritage of Chesapeake City, Maryland. Story after story can be told by the wide array of people that have walked through the doors at Schaefer's. Over the years Schaefer's has been many different things and owned by different people however what remains the same is that it holds a special place in Chesapeake City's local history. Much of the information below can be found on www.cecilhistory.org
In 1907 Joseph Schaefer, Sr. and his wife Winifred opened a grocery and ship's chandlery business located on the north side of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, just west of the Chesapeake City canal locks. They were the fourth owner of the property, with deeds going back into the early 1800's. Upon the death of Joseph Schaefer in 1923, Winifred Schaefer, along with the help of her children proceeded with plans to rebuild along the canal. He had the visionof what could be done with the location and the perseverance to carry it through.
Throughout the years, Winifred's devotion, hard work, and business sense supported her brother John Schaefer's successful endeavors. They were a great team. During 1935, John Schaefer opened a beer garden in a small building constructed behind the second store. This was actually the initial Schaefer's Restaurant, as hard-boiled eggs and crab cakes prepared by Winifred Schaefer were available at the bar. The new, spacious, and elegant "Chesapeake Room" was one of the most exclusive dining facilities in the area, offering the finest seafood menu selections on Maryland's eastern shore. The great food and the outstanding views from the picture windows of ocean going ships passing through the C & D Canal were a huge success. Diners were thrilled to watch Schaefer's launch approach the side of passing ships while exchanging the pilots who climbed rope ladders over open water to and from their duties. The new second floor addition also attracted customers for wedding receptions, anniversary celebrations and other special events. Prior to the addition, these customers had to look elsewhere for such facilities. In 1966, work was begun to straighten the bendin the canal at Chesapeake City and widen the canal channel to 450 feet. North Chesapeake City lost Canal/Lewis Street, which included more than two dozen single family homes, a converted hotel, apartments, plus older vacant buildings which at one time served as stores. In addition, the Schaefer complex lost aconsiderable amount of land and all of the buildings on the complex eventually had to be demolished. A steel bulkhead was erected along the revised waterfront to protect the remaining Schaefer complex property from erosion while retaining as much land as possible. South Chesapeake City also lost a considerable amountof land during the canal widening but the number of homes lost on the south shore was not as extensive. Last but not least, in 1971 plans were made to construct a new restaurant to be known as Schaefer's Canal House. In addition to being very elegant, the new restaurant provided guests with a terrific view of activities on the canal. Passing ships were announced over the public address system and dining guests were informed as to the dimensions, cargo, origin and destination of the vessel. With the completion of the new restaurant in 1973, everything except Schaefer's Pilot Transfer launch service passed out of the hands of the Schaefer family. In 1975 the introduction of Cabin John's Cocktail Lounge was born in what is now will be used as our banquet facilities once the construction is complete. Prior to the reconstruction, Cabin John's was a grocery and general store called Schaefer's Delmar Market. Also in 1975 the new pilot shack located to the right of the restaurant, when viewing from the canal, was built. Its purpose was to serve the commercial shipping traffic by transferring pilots on/off the vessel. By this time Bank Street and Lock Street were used to enter the complex.
Since 1975, there has been several owners who have persuaded influenceon Schaefer's Canal House. Gunter Sunkler, formally of Austria, was an owner of this dining establishment up to 2002. During his administration, Schaefer's took on a new light, which included the introduction of island/reggae sounds gleaming from their steel drums on the outside patio area. This brought the concept of outside, easy listening music and entertainment to Chesapeake City, MD. Mr. Sunkler demonstrated his ability to bring top chefs and a supreme wait staff to the facility in order to deliver some of the best seafood dishes in the state of Maryland. People from all over the world experienced, and continue to experience, the excitement at Schaefer's. From 2002 to 2006 Schaefer's was sold to Domenic Dellabarba of Pennsylvania who continued what Sunkler started. Domenic reconstructed the patio in order to accommodate more people anddancing. In addition, he renovated the store downstairs in to an indoor bar.
In Late 2010, Schaefer's entered in to the portfolio of the Giordano family from Kennett Square, PA. The Giordano's saw the prestige and flare that Schaefer's had to offer to the world and decided to put their decades of restaurant and business experience to work. Moreover, John, Frank, and Domenic partnered with Frankie Broomall to round out the ownership of Schaefer's. Over the days that followed, was a consistent period of reconstruction to both the marina and main restaurant. The patio evolved in to an arena for dancing and entertainment, which is over shadowed by the statuesque outline of our Lighthouse Bar. In addition to our marina rehabilitation, we have also completed the renovation to the main dining room and upstairs veranda. On the veranda guests are able to take in the true meaning of relaxation. The new owners' are enthusiastic, family oriented, and forward thinkers. Management as well as our staff will strive to maintain the rich atmosphere Schaefer's always possessed, in addition to expanding and developing new, refreshing, and innovative ideas. It is our goal to focus on our guests in order to push the uprising of Schaefer's Canal House for years to come. We look forward to the opportunity to expand the legacy of Schaefer's and will strive to deliver the utmost care and attention to our guests. Welcome Aboard!